Camp LUCK is run by Director Jay “Bird” Thompson and Assistant Director Dr. René Herlong. Together, they have more than a half-century of experience in summer camping at Camp Cherokee. The programs at Camp LUCK are supervised by experienced professional staff from Camp Cherokee. These past superstars are hand-picked by Bird and are the best of the best. For Kids Camp, volunteer cabin counselors are chosen among hospital staff, friends, parents and Camp Cherokee alumni who have a passion to create a life-changing experience for our campers. Each staff member is carefully selected and vetted. Safety is our first priority at Camp LUCK.
- Fundraisers/Events: Help with various fundraising efforts by assisting or just attending the events.
- Family Camp: Kitchen staff, cleaning staff, check-in and check-out, pre/post preparations and maintenance of camp facility.
- Kids Camp: Cabin Counselors, kitchen staff, cleaning staff, check-in and check-out, pre/post preparations and maintenance of camp facility.
Job requirements for Camp LUCK volunteers
- Must be at least 15 years of age.
- Must love working with children in a camp atmosphere.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with kids.
- Must have prior work experience and held a job with an organization/agency.
- Minimally First-Aid/CPR certified by approved accredited organization.
Selection process for Camp LUCK volunteers*
Priority will be given to applicants who, in this order of priority:
- Have congenital heart disease,
- Have siblings or children with congenital heart disease,
- Work in a profession involving care of patients with congenital heart disease and
- Have attended prior Camp LUCK events
Opportunities will be available for “onsite volunteers” and “part-time volunteers”. The former will need to commit to the entire week of the kids’ camp; the latter may volunteer for particular days or portions thereof.
Parents of campers will be prohibited from serving as an “onsite volunteer” except as determined by the Camp Director. This helps to preserve the camp experience for the camper.
The selection of volunteer staff will be done by the Camp Director with input from the Board of Directors.
*Camp LUCK does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
If you are interested in volunteering, please review the above information and contact volunteers@CampLUCK.com if you have questions.